Sam Smith opens up on his sexuality and more


Sam Smith doesn't 'want it to be limited' when it comes to who he speaks up for.

The Stay with Me singer revealed he was gay just before the release of his debut album. The British star is proud of his sexuality, and so it hurts him when people think otherwise.

'I'm a singer and a song writer. I get upset sometimes because I don't talk about it too much,' he said during an appearance on the Ellen DeGeneres chat show. 

'People say, he doesn't want to be a spokesperson for the gay community. I do, of course I do, but I want to be a spokesperson for everyone. You know straight people, gay people, bisexual. I don't want it to be limited.'

The talk show host, who is also gay, seemed to agree that representing a minority group could be a challenge. The 56-year-old added that it is a 'weird title' but if a person wants to dedicate their lives to it that's their choice.

'I'm 22 as well. I¹m still trying to figure everything out,' Sam replied.



While the news of his sexual orientation was news to the general public, it wasn't for his loved ones. Sam revealed to Ellen that his family knew from an early age.

'It didn't feel like a coming out. I came out when I was like four years old,' he laughed. 'My mum said she knew when I was, like, three. I kind of just felt like I needed to mention it before I released the record so people knew what it was about. And it felt like a brave thing to do as well I wanted to do it before because if I did it afterwards people probably would have thought I was lying just to sell records.'

What are your thoughts? 
Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments: